Hero father saves woman from knife attacker

Hero father saves woman from knife attacker The alleged attacker wheeled out of the Doveton house on a stretcher. Photo: Channel 7


Police on Waratah Street in Doveton after the Saturday morning siege. Photo: Paul Jeffers

Residents on Waratah Street, Doveton, after the siege. Photo: Paul Jeffers

Heavily armed police surround a black sedan in Doveton. Photo: Courtesy of Nine News

Heavily armed police surround a black sedan in Doveton. Photo: Courtesy of Nine News


facebookSHAREtwitterTWEETemailwhatsappA Melbourne father has saved an injured woman from a knife-wielding attacker outside his suburban home before heavily armed police swooped on his property.

The drama unfolded about 6.30am on Saturday, when a man stabbed another man and two women at a house on Lacebark Street in Doveton.

The male victim was left in a critical condition with life threatening injuries to his upper and lower body.

It is believed one of the injured women managed to escape and fled to nearby Waratah Street,but the attacker followed.

Resident Ina Maramota was inside his home with his partner and their six children when they heard the alleged attacker threatening the woman in the middle of the street.

Mr Maramota ventured outside, armed with a large stick, to confront the attacker andhelp the injuredwoman.

“I had a big stick – I was pushing him away with thestick,” Mr Maramota told Channel 7.

“Then I grabbed her – she was behind me – and I was using the stick at the same time.”

Mr Maramota managed to ward off the attacker by pushing him in the chest with the stick and help the womanto safety inside his home.

He and his family, and the injured woman, barricaded themselves inside, while the attacker demanded to be let in.

Heavily armed police soon descendedon the suburband surrounded theproperty.

The family was huddled inside when they reportedly heard rocks being thrown against the back window.

Channel 7 has reported the rocks were thrown by police, who got the family’s attention, before helping them slip out the back door and climb over the fence to safety.

By that stage, it is understood, the alleged attacker had managed to get inside.

After a short stand off, police stormed the property, Tasering the alleged attacker and arresting him.

He was eventually carried out by ambulance paramedics, tied to a stretcher.He was taken to Dandenong Hospital in a stable condition.

“He has been taken to hospital for assessment before being interviewed,” a police spokeswoman said.

The man stabbed at Lacebark Street property has been taken to The Alfred hospital in a critical condition, with both upper and lower body injuries.

A woman stabbed at the property was also taken to The Alfred in a serious condition.

The second woman has been taken by ambulance to the Royal Melbourne Hospital in a serious condition.

“The exact circumstances surrounding the incident are yet to be determined but all parties are believed to be known to each other,” the police spokeswoman said.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.